If you’re looking for something fun to do with the family on New Year’s Eve 2018 or New Year’s Day 2019, here’s a selection of child-friendly events in and around the local area. Something for children of all ages!
NEW YEAR’S EVE ACTIVITIES
- Pantomime Season – see out 2018 with a family show! Several pantomimes across Leeds have New Years Eve showings including Wrongsemble’s The Princess & The Sprout at Leeds Central Library and Beauty And The Beast at Carriageworks Theatre. Tickets are limited though so be quick to book. Find full details here.
- Leeds Wheel of Light has special New Year opening times so you can take a spin and see what the whole city is up to for New Years Eve. Find full details here.
- Christmas at Harewood House continues with the crafts, the house beautifully decorated, the bird garden and beautiful winter walk. Full details here.
- Thor’s Tipis will have have ambient music playing throughout the Tipi’s as you chill out around the fire with the papers. Check out the full offerings here.
- Legends: King Arthur at the Royal Armouries – An action-packed themed weekend featuring the legendary leader of medieval myths and romances. Full details here
- Boomchikkaboom NYE Messy Playa Special at Revolucion De Cuba Leeds, aimed at babies from sitting, through to 5yrs. Full details here
- Rainbow Factory Disney NYE party – Join some of the best-loved characters from Disney classics, for a sparkling event, sprinkled with pixie dust at The Rainbow Factory. More details here
- Outlaws Yacht Club– Celebrate the NYE in traditional relaxed Outlaws style with friends, family & resident djs providing the music. Plenty of board games to play and delicious food to enjoy. Free entry.
- Lotherton – Explore Wildlife World, the estate and the adventure playgrounds for the day. Open 10am-1.00pm on New Years Eve. More details here
- Stockeld Park– The Christmas adventure continues with the covered ice rink, maze, nordic skiing and illuminated Enchanted Forest to explore. Details here
- Tong Garden Centre – Visit Grasshoppers*, the restaurant and the food hall for a New Years Eve treat or two. (*Grasshoppers opening is weather dependant, please check their Facebook page before setting off).
- New Patternarium Exhibition at Eureka Halifax– Have a go at creating colourful and crazy light patterns in this immersive exhibition by peddling bikes, using a giant kaleidoscope and more. Details here.
- RHS Garden Harlow Carr – Open from 9.30am – 3.00pm, grab some fresh air and lets the kids run free & play! Details here
- Bolton Abbey’s Count Down To Christmas trail continues until 7th January. The woodland walk is a FREE event but usual estate admission applies. Pick up a Festive Family trail sheet from the kiosk on arrival!
NEW YEAR’S EVE FAMILY PARTIES
A selection of venues are hosting parties for all the family but be quick as tickets are selling fast.
- Pudsey Congs Cricket Club are hosting a family friendly New Year’s Eve party this year, with fancy dress. More info here.
- Rainbow Factory NYE Disney Party– join some of the best-loved characters from Disney classics, for a sparkling event, sprinkled with pixie dust at The Rainbow Factory. Booking required. More details here
- New Year’s Eve Family Party at The Village Hotel, North Leeds – Party the night away at the family dinner and disco. Booking required. More details here
- Fire & Ice New Year’s Eve Family Party at Cedar Court Hotel Leeds/ Bradford – photobooth, an around the world buffet, disco and party games for kids, while parents can enjoy dancing through the decades! More details here
EXPLORE THE OUTDOORS
We live in such a beautiful area and are spoilt for choice when it comes to parks, gardens & nature reserves. All free to enjoy.
If you fancy blowing some cobwebs away, why not try one of our family friendly walking routes or bike rides. Something for everyone including prams and little legs! Make it more exciting with nature bingo, a scavenger hunt or doing some leaf rubbings – there are lots of free ideas available with a quick internet search.
NEW YEAR’S DAY – FAMILY DAYS OUT
If you’d like to get out and about on New Year’s Day, here are some of the things open within a 90 minute drive of West Leeds. We have indicated where booking is required.
- Leeds Wheel of Light– Start 2019 in lights! Take a ride on the Leeds Wheel of Light! Full details here.
- Royal Armouries– The museum will open as normal on New Year’s day from 10am-5pm.
- RSPB Fairburn Ings– Festive Quiz Trail. Visit Fairburn Ings visitor centre between 9am and 4pm for your free quiz sheet. Suitable for all ages. More info here.
- RHS Garden Harlow Carr – The gardens are open from 10 am – 3 pm, grab some fresh air and lets the kids run free & play! Please note Betty’s will be shut. More details here.
- Stockeld Park Winter Adventure– The Christmas adventure continues with the covered ice rink, maze, nordic skiing and illuminated Enchanted Forest to explore. Booking advised. Details here
- Knaresborough Duck Race 2019– head to Knaresborough and enjoy the unique sight of 5000 plastic ducks racing on New Years Day. Join in from just £1! Full details here
- Billy Bobs– Start your New Year with the ultimate hangover cure at Billy Bob’s: breakfast, coffee or a serious cheeseburger while the kids let off steam in the play barn! Open New Years Day, from 9 am for breakfast until last orders for dinner at 5.45pm. Booking required.
- Skipton Castle– Start 2019 with a journey into the past at Skipton Castle. Open 10 am – 4 pm.
- Yorkshire Wildlife Park– A great day out for the family, the park is open 10am – 3pm.
- Fountains Abbey– Open 10am – 5 pm. Dust off the cobwebs with a walk around the beautiful Fountains Abbey.
- Keighley & Worth Valley Railway Mince Pie Specials- Travel in a toasty, Yuletide carriage as the festive journey continues into the New Year. Booking required. Full details here.
- The Deep, Hull – Open 10am – 6pm. An award-winning aquarium home to 3,500 fish including green sawfish, spectacular sharks, rays and a colony of Gentoo penguins there is something for everyone! Full info here.
- Thorp Perrow Arboretum Wildlife Park– Thorp Perrow offers the perfect place for a winter’s walk through the trees in the Arboretum and has fun in the adventure play area. Open New Year’s Day 10 am to 4 pm. However, the Bird of Prey & Mammal Centre will be closed.
- Cannon Hall Farm– The farm is open 10.30am – 5.00pm, to see the animals and play in the adventure play areas.
If you’ve got any other recommendations, please share them in the West Leeds Mumbler Chat Group.
Whatever you end up doing we hope you have a fantastic time! Happy New Year & here’s to a great 2019! x