If you’re thinking about trying a new class this term, we’ve picked out some ideas for ones across West Leeds. There’s something for all ages and many offer FREE taster sessions so you can see what you think. But be quick. They get booked up quickly and for many, the new term starts next week.
1. Number Train – The Number Train takes your preschool child on a different journey of discovery each week, all with an underlying focus on maths. Helping to prepare them for school, whilst they have fun traveling into space, meeting pirates, going shopping in the silly supermarket, visiting the zoo and more. Watch your child grow in confidence as they take part in fun activities, games, action songs, turn-taking and art & craft – all of which have an underlying focus on maths!
Suitable for: Pre-school age
Wednesdays: 1.30pm at Horsforth St James’ Parish Centre. Term Time Only.
2. Pat-a-cake Music – You and your little ones can sing and make music together in a safe environment. All the resources used are especially created by Pat-a-cake to enhance your child’s musical development from an early age as well as develop other key skills such as confidence, language skills, communication, gross motor skills plus many more. There’s time to meet other parents, socialise with other children, have a snack, and you can even have a hot cup of coffee too.
Suitable for: 6 months – 3 years
Fridays: 10am at Calverley Methodist Church
3. Baby Yoga at Om Yoga Works – A unique and fun postnatal yoga class designed for mum and baby. Here is a wonderful opportunity for you as a new mum to ease your way back into exercise after the birth of your baby. Discover how yoga can help you stretch, strengthen and tone your body. Whether you are new to yoga or reconnecting with it, these gentle classes will restore your sense of well being.
Suitable for: 8 weeks – 2 years
Tuesdays: 11am at Om Yoga Works, Farsley. Term Time Only (alternative options are offered during the holidays)
4. Children’s Yoga at Om Yoga Works – These classes are about introducing your little ones to yoga in a simple, structured and non-competitive environment. The classes allow the children to be themselves, encouraging free movement and energy release, while learning new skills like healthy movement, body awareness and breathing practices. Your kids will learn postures in a fun and supportive way.
Suitable for: 2 – 11 years
Tuesdays: 9:30am or 16:00pm at Om Yoga Works, Farsley. Term Time Only (alternative options are offered during the holidays)
5. Baby Swimmers – Classes are fun with singing and skill related activities. Physically your baby will gain greater muscle control and hand-eye co-ordination, alertness is also improved through word association such as “reach”, whilst looking at and reaching for toys, which also stimulates the natural movement of their arms and legs. For older children the focus is on stamina and stroke techniques, whatever their age and ability.
Suitable for: 6 weeks – 14 years,
Monday-Friday: at multiple venues, including West Leeds & Bradford including: West SILC in Stanningley, Farmley Academy and Valley View in Bradford
6. Little Singers from Opera North – Sing songs, explore instruments, play games and have fun with music. Sessions aim to support the development and well-being of children under the age of 4 and their families through high-quality musical experiences and activities. Led by a professional musician, all workshops introduce live singing and music-making in a fun and creative environment suitable for all babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers with their grown-ups.
Suitable for: 6 weeks – 4 years
Mondays: 11.15am at Morley Town Hall
7. Sling Swing and Beanie Boppers – Sling Swing classes are fun and funky dancing and gentle movement classes for people with a little one in a sling or baby carrier. Beanie Boppers classes are dance and movement classes for preschool age children, based around a different theme each week.
Suitable for: 6 weeks – 4 years
Fridays: 10.30am at Hall Park Cricket Club, Horsforth
8. Gym Mini’s – Gymnastics classes involving a combination of exploratory play and structured activities to develop both gross and fine motor skills, as well as social interaction and communication. Children work towards a specific badge each term. For toddlers to pre-school age.
Suitable for: walkers – 4 years
Monday-Friday: Various times of the day at Morley, Armley & Kirkstall Leisure Centres
9. Sing & Sign – Classes are a relaxed, great fun way to learn about baby signing. Sessions include half an hour of singing and signing and ample social time for tea or coffee (venue facilities may vary) while your baby plays and makes friends.
Suitable for: 6 weeks – 2 years
Monday-Wednesday: Various times of the day at St Margaret’s Parish Centre, Horsforth, Farsley Library and Hollybush Children’s Centre, Bramley
10. Dream Time Baby Massage – Dream Time Baby Massage helps develop your babies senses through strong loving touch, lullaby song, gentle movement and social time. It’s all about supporting mums with babies in a safe, secure and welcoming non-judgemental and inclusive environment.
Suitable for: 6 weeks – crawling age
Tuesdays and Fridays: 10am and 1pm at Om Yoga Works, Farsley
11. Aquanatal Babes – An exciting 6 weeks postnatal aqua class. Sessions include fun exercise in the water together with your baby and provides not only a full-body workout for mum, but is a fantastic, safe introduction to the water for baby, who can keep close by using our special waterproof slings. By combining strengthening, stretching and relaxation exercises, the sessions provide the optimum workout to develop core stability, and at the same time a special bonding experience.
Suitable for: 6 weeks – 1 years
Thursdays: 3pm at Bramley Baths
Please contact the class providers directly for more information or to book.
This is just a snap shot of the classes available locally. Click here for the full list of classes for 0-4 year olds across West Leeds.